ZenithOptimedia retains O2 and snatches Spanish market
By Louise Ridley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 03 July 2014 04:05PM
Telefónica, the owner of O2, has consolidated its global media planning and buying account into Publicis Groupe, retaining ZenithOptimedia in the UK.
Publicis Groupe agencies will now run the account accross Telefónica's 16 markets. It was one of the incumbents, alongside other agencies including WPP's Mindshare and Havas Media's Arena.
ZenithOptimedia also retained its business in Germany, and picked up Telefónica's home market of Spain, which is currently handled by Arena.
Starcom MediaVest, ZenithOptimedia’s sister Publicis Groupe media agency, will handle the Latin American market, where it already held the business in some countries.
Telefónica will work with Arena in Spain and Mindshare, which held the account in Argentina, until Publicis' new contract begins on 1 January 2015.
Dentsu, Havas, Publicis and WPP took part in the pitch process. In a statement, Telefónica said it valued the "digital positioning" of Publicis.
It also thanked Arena and Mindshare, saying: "These agencies have shown professional capacity and a good performance in these countries and Telefónica is grateful for all their effort and professionalism."
Telefónica estimated to spend £200 million in its European markets alone.
O2 spent £49 million in the UK in the year to September 2012, according to Nielsen. The telecoms brand was the 18th-biggest-spending advertiser in the UK during that period.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Business Director Dynamic New Alliances £75000.00 per annum, City of London
- Digital Project Manager - Client Side ADLIB £ Competitive, Wiltshire
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Networking is never easier than in the queue for the toilet
- MEC appoints first head of programmatic strategy
- Blinkx losses sound alarm bells for those in online advertising
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot