ZenithOptimedia retains O2 and snatches Spanish market
By Louise Ridley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 03 July 2014 04:05PM
Telefónica, the owner of O2, has consolidated its global media planning and buying account into Publicis Groupe, retaining ZenithOptimedia in the UK.
Publicis Groupe agencies will now run the account accross Telefónica's 16 markets. It was one of the incumbents, alongside other agencies including WPP's Mindshare and Havas Media's Arena.
ZenithOptimedia also retained its business in Germany, and picked up Telefónica's home market of Spain, which is currently handled by Arena.
Starcom MediaVest, ZenithOptimedia’s sister Publicis Groupe media agency, will handle the Latin American market, where it already held the business in some countries.
Telefónica will work with Arena in Spain and Mindshare, which held the account in Argentina, until Publicis' new contract begins on 1 January 2015.
Dentsu, Havas, Publicis and WPP took part in the pitch process. In a statement, Telefónica said it valued the "digital positioning" of Publicis.
It also thanked Arena and Mindshare, saying: "These agencies have shown professional capacity and a good performance in these countries and Telefónica is grateful for all their effort and professionalism."
Telefónica estimated to spend £200 million in its European markets alone.
O2 spent £49 million in the UK in the year to September 2012, according to Nielsen. The telecoms brand was the 18th-biggest-spending advertiser in the UK during that period.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- CRM Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South West England
- Senior Shopper Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £65,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Visual Merchandiser & Store Design Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £80 - £150 per day, London
- What the end of Page 3 means for advertising
- Havas partners with Facebook's Atlas for multi-device ad targeting
- Daily Mirror publishes its own tits on Page 3
- 'This girl can' tops Campaign Viral Chart
- John Brown Media appoints Rebekah Billingsley to head of digital and content strategy role
- 'You don't have to explain yourself if you are getting the job done,' says Tracy De Groose on work and motherhood