ZenithOptimedia retains O2 and snatches Spanish market
By Louise Ridley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 03 July 2014 04:05PM
Telefónica, the owner of O2, has consolidated its global media planning and buying account into Publicis Groupe, retaining ZenithOptimedia in the UK.
Publicis Groupe agencies will now run the account accross Telefónica's 16 markets. It was one of the incumbents, alongside other agencies including WPP's Mindshare and Havas Media's Arena.
ZenithOptimedia also retained its business in Germany, and picked up Telefónica's home market of Spain, which is currently handled by Arena.
Starcom MediaVest, ZenithOptimedia’s sister Publicis Groupe media agency, will handle the Latin American market, where it already held the business in some countries.
Telefónica will keep working with Arena in Spain and Mindshare, which held the account in Argentina, until Publicis' contract begins in 1 January 2015.
Dentsu, Havas, Publicis and WPP took part in the pitch process. In a statement, Telefónica said it valued the "digital positioning" of Publicis.
It also thanked Arena and Mindshare, saying: "These agencies have shown professional capacity and a good performance in these countries and Telefónica is grateful for all their effort and professionalism."
Telefónica estimated to spend £200 million in its European markets alone.
O2 spent £49 million in the UK in the year to September 2012, according to Nielsen. The telecoms brand was the 18th-biggest-spending advertiser in the UK during that period.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Account Director Stopgap £55000 per annum, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR @ BOUTIQUE MEDIA AGENCY - £55k! Ultimate Asset £45000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus + benefits, London
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014