ZenithOptimedia retains O2 and snatches Spanish market
By Louise Ridley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 03 July 2014 04:05PM
Telefónica, the owner of O2, has consolidated its global media planning and buying account into Publicis Groupe, retaining ZenithOptimedia in the UK.
Publicis Groupe agencies will now run the account accross Telefónica's 16 markets. It was one of the incumbents, alongside other agencies including WPP's Mindshare and Havas Media's Arena.
ZenithOptimedia also retained its business in Germany, and picked up Telefónica's home market of Spain, which is currently handled by Arena.
Starcom MediaVest, ZenithOptimedia’s sister Publicis Groupe media agency, will handle the Latin American market, where it already held the business in some countries.
Telefónica will work with Arena in Spain and Mindshare, which held the account in Argentina, until Publicis' new contract begins on 1 January 2015.
Dentsu, Havas, Publicis and WPP took part in the pitch process. In a statement, Telefónica said it valued the "digital positioning" of Publicis.
It also thanked Arena and Mindshare, saying: "These agencies have shown professional capacity and a good performance in these countries and Telefónica is grateful for all their effort and professionalism."
Telefónica estimated to spend £200 million in its European markets alone.
O2 spent £49 million in the UK in the year to September 2012, according to Nielsen. The telecoms brand was the 18th-biggest-spending advertiser in the UK during that period.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Account Executive | Ã‚£25,000 | Automotive Dynamic New Alliances Ã‚£22000.00 - Ã‚£25000.00 per annum + Excellent Benefits , City of London
- Junior Digital Designer Gemini Search Ã‚£20000.00 - Ã‚£25000 per annum, London
- Middle-Weight Digital Designer Gemini Search Ã‚£30000.00 - Ã‚£40000 per annum, London
- Social & Content Account Manager - Travel - London Major Players Ã‚£27000 - Ã‚£33000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Account Director - Integrated Marketing Stonor £45,000 - £60,000 dependent on experience, Surrey
- Freeview launches singing toys campaign
- In pictures: Campaign Media Awards 2014
- King backs new Candy Crush game with global ad push
- Campaign Viral Chart: Sainsbury's Christmas ad tops the table
- Sainsbury's calls £60 million media review
- Brands use social media to congratulate F1 champion Lewis Hamilton