Brands make the most of Germany's dramatic victory over Brazil
Tesco, Paddy Power, Adidas and PornHub are among the brands to have made the most of Germany's 7-1 thrashing of the hosts, Brazil, in the first World Cup semi-final last night.
On Twitter, Tesco made a joke referencing the way pool players sometimes place a piece of paper under a pool table if the surface is wobbly. Tesco also made a German-related pun on the word "worst" and a type of German sausage.
Is the pitch tilted? Quick, someone slip a folded up receipt under Brazil's goal. #BrazilvsGermany— Tesco (@Tesco) July 8, 2014
Well, this is wurst case scenario for Brazil. #BrazilvsGermany— Tesco (@Tesco) July 8, 2014
The game, which broke the record for the most goals conceded by Brazil in a World Cup match, broke the record for the most tweeted about sporting event with 35.6 million mentions, ahead of this year's SuperBowl with 24.9 million.
Sony, meanwhile, recreated the game with Subbuteo figures in a Vine that has been retweeted more than 300 times since being posted at 12.44am this morning.
Paddy Power, which is no stranger to making jokes central to its marketing, posted a picture of Brazil’s injured star striker Neymar holding a can of 7-Up, in reference to Germany’s seven goals.
The adult site PornHub even got in the act by tweeting for its members to stop uploading footage from the game to its public humiliation section.
Please stop uploading the game highlights to Pornhub... Our public humiliation category is full. #BrazilvsGermany— Pornhub Katie (@Pornhub) July 8, 2014
Adidas, which is the kit sponsor for Germany, was magnanimous in victory by tweeting that "only the best teams make it to the semi-finals of the World Cup.
Brazil’s kit sponsor Nike has not tweeted about the result since the game ended.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Marketing Author Brand Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Cambridge
- Account Director Brand Recruitment salary dependent on experience, Cambridge
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Networking is never easier than in the queue for the toilet
- MEC appoints first head of programmatic strategy
- Blinkx losses sound alarm bells for those in online advertising
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot