Liberty Global buys Sky's ITV stake for £481m
Liberty Global, the owner of Virgin Media, has bought BSkyB's 6.4 per cent in ITV for £481 million.
Sky sold its 259.8 million shares in ITV to Liberty Global, which is chaired by the US TV and cable executive John Malone, for 185p each. Shares closed at 183.8p last night and were up to 201.8p at the time of writing.
In a statement released today, Liberty Global said it intends to finance the purchase through a loan linked to a hedging transaction, which would be secured by the ITV shares and existing cash reserves.
Mike Fries, the chief executive at Liberty Global, said: "This is an opportunistic and attractive investment for us in our largest cable market. ITV is the leading commercial broadcaster in the UK and we're excited to be shareholders."
Sky said in a statement that it intends to use the proceeds for general corporate purposes.
An ITV spokeswoman said: "We note Liberty Global’s announcement and we will work with them as with any other shareholder, as we continue our strategy of growing ITV."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Creative Brand Strategist Rare Selection £35 - £50K (benefits TBA), London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager - BTL / Integrated - [partnerships] - to £40k pending experience Fill Recruitment to £40k plus top benefits, pending experience, London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Integrated / Shopper - FMCG - Superb agency! Fill Recruitment Up to £32k plus great benefits, London (Greater)
- Associate Director - Communities Research Hasson Associates £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- BBC social media manager calls for brands to add value
- Dave Trott: Great advertising isn't just gimmicks
- Johnny Fearless closes after client departure
- WPP launches Xaxis Audio with Global
- Google aims to hold brands' hands with 'programmatic playbook'
- Manning Gottlieb OMD, MediaCom and PHD head shortlist for 2015 Thinkbox TV Planning Awards