Cracknell, Stanners and Cheetham set to join IPA's council
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 26 April 2002 12:00AM
The IPA has taken the unprecedented step of electing three agency creative directors to its council as part of a commitment to put creative issues at the heart of its thinking.
Their appointments are in line with a pledge by Bruce Haines, the IPA's president, to get creative matters higher on the IPA's agenda.
Many creatives have traditionally ignored the IPA in the belief that it was not relevant to them. Recently, the IPA has acknowledged that more should be done to encourage their participation.
Cracknell, who begins his second spell as a council member, said: "Creatives have always seen the IPA as a dour, grey body discussing issues that don't effect them."
He added: "This doesn't mean we're going to sit around talking about typefaces. But it does mean that creativity, which is our most important product, will get a better hearing at council meetings. Our skills are well recognised outside the industry but haven't always been best represented within it."
Other new council members elected this week were Simon Bolton, the chief executive of J. Walter Thompson, Chris Herd, the managing director of Bates UK, John Ayling, the chairman of John Ayling & Associates, and Amy Smith, the managing director of Wieden & Kennedy.
John Banks, the chairman of Banks Hoggins O'Shea/FCB, takes over as the IPA secretary from the long-serving Adrian Vickers, the former deputy chairman of Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Project Manager Major Players £26000 - £28000 per annum, City of London
- Customer and Market Insight Officer Better Placed Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + Very competitive benefits package, Guildford
- Print Buyer - Print Purchasing - High Street Brand - £25-27k Salt £25000 - £27000 per annum, London
- Qualitative Researchers Lipton Fleming £20000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits, London