Macleans launches mature toothpaste using Grey TV ad
By MATTHEW COWEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 28 June 2002 12:00AM
Grey Worldwide has introduced the multi-imaging technology first used in pop promos to launch its campaign for the UK's first anti-ageing toothpaste.
The £2 million campaign, which breaks on 1 July, aims to establish Glaxo SmithKline's Macleans 40+ brand as the first dental product specifically designed for mature teeth and gums.
Its formula targets the bacteria that can lead to receding or inflamed gums in middle age, as well as protect against root decay.
The 30-second black-and-white TV commercial focuses on a married couple at a ball who dance in slow motion while around them their companions move at a faster pace. Over the backing track First Time I Ever Saw Your Face Amanda Burton intones how Macleans slows the effects of ageing.
The ad uses a technique known as difference matting, which involves shooting the ad four times and then fusing the different elements in post-production.
It was written by Lucie Mills, art directed by Victoria Rose and directed by Will van der Flugt through his own production company. The spot will run on a national TV schedule planned and bought through MediaCom.
The 40+ brand is the second product innovation launched by Glaxo SmithKline in the UK this year. In March the company launched an electric toothbrush, dubbed Whitening Power, which it claimed would whiten teeth as it cleaned them through a "pulsating, oscillating action".
Grey also works on the Glaxo SmithKline Aquafresh brand, which holds second place in the UK market, ahead of Macleans and behind Colgate.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior UX/IA Mobile Designer - 3 Month Contract - London Network Career Consultants £300 - £350 per day, London
- Junior Account Executive Pitch Consultants £15000 - £18000 per annum, Birmingham
- French Speaking Graphic designer | Corporate communications - Global Healthcare Brand Aquent Competitive day rate, Hertfordshire
- Client Services Director - Full-Service Digital Agency Silverdrum to £55,000 + benefits, London