AMV hands head of copy role to Riley to assist young teams
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 05 July 2002 12:00AM
Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, the agency which built its creative reputation on David Abbott's copywriting skills, has made Tim Riley its first head of copy with a brief to improve the writing standard of its junior teams.
Riley, who is best known for his award-winning work on AMV's long-running campaign for The Economist, will focus on the work of the seven junior teams within the creative department.
Peter Souter, the executive creative director at AMV, said: "I'm being presented with a lot of good ideas but the ads aren't necessarily written as well as I would have liked."
The appointment takes place against a background of growing fears by creative chiefs of a steady erosion of copywriting talent. Declining educational standards and the emphasis by art colleges on "concept" creativity rather than craft skills are being blamed. The trend for ads with big headlines and visuals is believed to be exacerbating the problem.
As the creative catalyst of AMV, Abbott established its tradition of finely crafted copywriting for clients such as The Economist, Sainsbury's and the RSPCA. "We have a great reputation for good writing which David has set, Souter said. "I want to make sure that carries on."
Riley, previously at Bartle Bogle Hegarty, was Souter's first hiring after being named as Abbott's heir apparent in 1996. His agency career covers spells at J. Walter Thompson, DFSD Bozell, Simons Palmer, BMP DDB and Leagas Delaney.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Sports Mad Digital Designer - Integrated Agency - £30-35K The Creative Recruiter £30-35K plus bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Designer - Integrated Agency - £40-45K The Creative Recruiter £40-45K plus bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director - Experiential Major Players £45000 - £50000 per hour, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Junior Creative Designer Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £22000 - £25000 per annum, London (West), London (Greater)