TBWA set to swap Cadbury for Mars
By MATTHEW COWEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 26 July 2002 12:00AM
TBWA has resigned its pan-European Cadbury business as it clears its decks to receive a flood of Masterfoods business across Europe.
The decision brings down the curtain on a relationship that dates back more than a decade. GGT, one of the agencies that formed TBWA/London through a series of mergers during the 90s, was first appointed to handle Cadbury's Flake in 1987.
TBWA is to be rewarded with a bonanza of petcare billings across the region after a Masterfoods decision to transfer BBDO London's estimated £40 million European Whiskas account by the end of the year. TBWA has been hired to handle the Chappie, Pal and Trill petfoods, and the organic food range Seeds of Change across the region.
"We haven't had confirmation of this and we're not able to comment, a spokeswoman for Masterfoods UK said of TBWA's appointment to the Whiskas business.
Masterfoods is likely to compensate BBDO with additional business of its own. However, the network has received new business in the shape of global appointments for Maltesers as well as the Cesar and Frolic petfood brands and Catsan cat litter.
In addition, AMV Advance will take on Skittles and Dolmio in the UK.
The TBWA president of Northern Europe, Paul Bainsfair, denied that any decision had been made to hand Whiskas to the network. "We are not working with Mars on Whiskas and we are not aware of any plans to do so, he said.
Bainsfair refused to confirm a parting of the ways with Cadbury in Europe.
However, he acknowledged that Masterfoods' decision to hand TBWA confectionery accounts in Australia had led to the network resigning its Cadbury business in that territory.
It is not clear if Cadbury will call a pitch to fill the vacant European accounts - it is working with Agency Assessments on future strategy for the brands. Euro RSCG Wnek Gosper, which handles several Cadbury brands in the UK, is a likely destination for some of the vacant accounts.
The account moves follow the May hiring of TBWA/Chiat/Day to handle the Whiskas, Uncle Ben's and Seeds of Change accounts in the US. The transfer was triggered when Mars dropped D'Arcy from its global roster.
A Cadbury Trebor Bassett spokesman said it was company policy not to comment on rumour and speculation.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- .Net Developer - Agency Role - ASP.Net, .Net 4.0, CMS, Umbraco Digital Gurus £35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits, London
- Freelance Account Manager for award winning integrated agency! Zebra People £180 - £220 per day, East London
- Product Strategist Dyson Undisclosed, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
- Motion Graphic designer (with Flash Experience) Digital Gurus £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard
- Watch: The Economist's interactive Nelson Mandela film