Mother lands new Siemens account
By Jeremy Lee,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 29 August 2002 08:30AM
LONDON - Siemens has selected Mother and Naked to handle the global launch of its new range of mobile phone hardware aimed at a youth audience.
Mother and Naked paired up to defeat Wieden & Kennedy Amsterdam in a head-to-head pitch held in Munich last Friday.
The news will be a bitter disappointment to Wieden & Kennedy, which has been the incumbent on the £70m global phone business since the end of last year.
Although Mother has never worked on a client in the telecoms sector it has acquired a reputation for successfully advertising youth-oriented brands.
Equally, Naked has won plaudits for its work on PlayStation2 and Reebok and has experience of the telecoms sector through its work with Hutchison.
Stef Calcraft of Mother and Naked's Jon Wilkins led the pitch in what has has become a successful collaboration between the two agencies.
Details of the brand-led youth-oriented phone are being kept secret, but it will launch in the UK, Europe and China next spring.
The phone relies on GPRS technology and, following its initial launch, will be rolled out throughout the world, as the technology becomes available. The first tranche of advertising has a budget in excess of £25m in Europe.
The phone is expected to have an emphasis on style rather than technological specifications as the mobile phone market has become saturated as the hardware has got cheaper.
Siemens has also suffered from its image as the manufacturer of a wide range of consumer and industrial goods, which has meant that it may not necessarily be the brand of choice for a young consumer.
Siemens has yet to appoint an implementational media planning and buying agency for the brief.
Calcraft promised the communications strategy and marketing will be "different to the traditional prosaic approach". He added: "Siemens made it clear from the outset that it wanted new ideas and a new approach for this product.
"It asked us to do what we do best, encouraged us and partnered us throughout the pitching process and it was our turn to return the compliment last Friday. This is a stunning opportunity for all the companies involved."
Wilkins added the communications strategy that Naked had offered Siemens included all marketing elements.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Integrated Shoreditch Agency - Financial Services - £30-38k Judi Patton £30k-38k, Shoreditch, London
- Head of Inbound (SEO and Content) dmpeople Between £60,000 and £80,000 plus bonus and benefits, London
- Regional Shopper & Market Insights Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, Asia
- International Trade Planning Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 per annum, London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014