Agencies line up as Lucozade Sport calls pitch
By Mark Sweney,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 31 October 2002 11:25AM
LONDON - GlaxoSmithKline is talking to non-roster agencies about the £3m account for its Lucozade Sport drink, currently held by Ogilvy & Mather.
It is still unclear whether the core £10m Lucozade Energy account, which has been promoted heavily in conjunction with Lara Croft in the past, will also come under review.
The decision to invite outside agencies to pitch in the UK breaks with the policy GlaxoSmithKline adopts globally for Lucozade, which uses O&M as the lead agency in all markets that require an above-the-line agency. Grey Worldwide is its other key roster network.
Lucozade is part of GlaxoSmithKline's consumer healthcare division, which includes brands such as Horlicks and Ribena, both handled by Grey, as well as Aquafresh, Oxy and Panadol.
It is unknown if GlaxoSmithKline plans to review its Solstis drinks brand, which is also handled by O&M.
The review will come as a blow to O&M. It is currently fighting to retain its £18m KFC account, which it has held since 1995, in an AAR-organised pitch against Bartle Bogle Hegarty, Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO and Clemmow Hornby Inge.
O&M has lost a number of major UK-based accounts this year, including the £30m Argos work in May after a 13-year relationship. The loss is thought to have cost the agency more than £1m in fees.
It also lost the £7m Royal & Sun Alliance's insurance brand More Th>n, the £4m account for The Observer newspaper and The Samaritans business.
O&M and GlaxoSmith-Kline refused to comment as Campaign went to press.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Search & Performance Marketing Director - Dubai MCG Associates Competitive and Tax Free in the sunshine!, Dubai, UAE
- Regional Planning & Strategy Director - Middle East & North Africa - Dubai Based MCG Associates Large Tax Free Package + Family Medical + Family Flights + Bonus + Relocation flights and hotel, Dubai - UAE
- Biddable Account Manager - Social Media - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager - near Bath Stopgap £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'