TBWA develops new posters for Thomas Cook ad campaign
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 13 December 2002 12:00AM
TBWA/London has created a £1.7 million poster and magazine campaign for the travel specialist Thomas Cook, which builds on the long-running campaign theme: "It's time to leave the country."
Breaking on 1 January, the six executions will appear in national magazines and on giant poster sites across the country until the end of February.
The aim of the campaign is to show situations that make people wish they were somewhere else. The idea is to connect with holidaymakers who have their own reasons for wanting to get away from it all.
The ads depict various images including a cheesy Christmas pantomime and a shot of yet another coffee shop opening on the high street followed by the strapline: "It's time to leave the country."
"Our posters provide humorous, tongue-in-cheek reasons to get away from it all," Keith Hendry, the marketing director at Thomas Cook, said. "The dreary winter days of January and February leave people thinking about foreign escapes more than any other time of the year."
As part of the promotion, a giant, branded digital clock will be erected in London in January that will count down to the beginning of British Summer Time.
The ads were art directed by Brian Campbell and written by Ben Priest.
Photography was by Simon Mills. Media planning and buying was by BLM Media.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London