Ericsson MMS mobile targets young
By JENNY WATTS, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 13 December 2002 12:00AM
StrawberryFrog is encouraging teenagers to drool over each other in a multimedia pan-European campaign for Sony Ericsson's mobile handset, The Bar.
The telecoms giant is targeting an audience of 16- to 24-year-old style leaders and opinion formers.
The campaign has been created to promote Ericsson's relatively cheap T300 phone and camera and articulate its multimessaging capabilities, which allow users to send homemade mini movies.
The phone is nicknamed The Bar because of its shape. It includes the MCA-25 snap-on CommuniCam camera and is billed as the low-cost way to send images and music messages to friends.
The creative work introduces a mythical new craze that sees teenagers and young adults drooling over themselves and their friends as a mark of respect and approval.
The cross-media campaign will include posters, a special website, microsites, virals, radio sponsorship, promotions and further guerilla marketing activities.
The campaign also trails the website www.drool-uk.com, which aims to appeal to its target audience by listing a glossary of underground language used by the droolers, such as "droolster" and "ma slap".
Kerry Matheson, the marketing manager for Sony Ericsson UK and Ireland, said: "The dictionary defines 'drool' as showing an excessive appreciation for something, and we wanted to create lust and desire for The Bar. By creating a viral 'drool' sub-culture, we can target style leaders and opinion formers and help create a desire and buzz for The Bar."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Regional Marketing Manager, Automotive, East Anglia and Northern Home Counties Copeland Select £Competitive + Car , Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Suffolk
- Senior Affiliate Executive - Huge Client - Global Media Agency Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum, London
- Account Manager fishtank £32000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, Bath
- Senior Brand Manager Nigel Wright Recruitment £50000 - £55000 Per Annum, South East (Home Counties)
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity