THE BOOK OF LISTS: The 10 Best International Posters
campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 17 December 2002 12:00AM
1. MALIBU "RADAR, SURVEILLANCE, YOUR AD HERE"
This campaign scored highly with the judges at Cannes. Marrying the stuffiness and formality of the rest of the world to the island of Malibu works brilliantly to show how chilled out the Malibu posse is and how up itself the rest of the world is.
Agency: J. Walter Thompson New York
Art director: Steve Krauss
2. HEREDIA COFFEE "e=mc2/MICKEY/JUST DO IT"
"Great ideas always come, you just have to stay awake," this ad says, and to prove it, the posters show the notes accompanying three big ideas.
So "e=mc2" shows pages of equations, "Mickey" shows alternative names for Mickey Mouse, and "just do it" offers alternatives to the Nike slogan.
So what made the final ideas stand out? A coffee cup stain.
Agency: Leo Burnett Portugal
Copywriter: Alexandre Okada
Art director: Carsus Dias
3. UNICEF "CHILD LABOUR: JEANS/CHILD LABOUR: T-SHIRT/CHILD LABOUR: TENNIS SHOE"
By showing images of children at work, affixed to the items they create, this ad gets across the harsh reality of sweatshop labour. Economical and eye-catching.
Agency: Springer & Jacoby
Copywriter: Sven Keitel
Art director: Claudia Todt
4. NIKE "EXCUSE: NOT THE RACQUET/EXCUSE: NOT THE UMPIRE/EXCUSE: NOT THE NOISE/EXCUSE: NOT HIM/EXCUSE: NOT THE WIND/EXCUSE: NOT THE SUN"
These ads, which show a tennis player making pathetic excuses rather than admit he can't play, also performed well in the press category at Cannes. Like the ads for the Nike 10K run in the UK last year, they hit on the lazy excuse-maker in all of us.
Agency: Publicis Casadevall Pedreno & PRG
Copywriter: Tomas Gui
Art director: Marti Llucia
5. OSLO PIERCING STUDIO "CHIN/EYEBROW/UPPER LOBE/EAR LOBE/BELLY BUTTON/TONGUE"
These ads scored very highly at Cannes for their direct and eye-catching execution. They make piercings look cool, clean, neat and nifty and mercifully omit the piercing equipment.
Agency: Leo Burnett Oslo
Copywriter: Erik Heisholt
Art directors: Erik Heisholt/Marianne Heckman
6. THE ART DIRECTORS' CLUB "MICROWAVE"
A woman sits at her kitchen table, engrossed in the Art Directors' Club book. Meanwhile, behind her, two little girls are about to cook her dog in the microwave. The poster makes you look beyond the obvious and rewards with a good gag.
Agency: Bozell New York
Copywriter: Kerry Keenan
Art directors: Erik Vervroegen/Soo Mean Chang/Molly Sheahan
7. CANCER PATIENTS AID ASSOCIATION "COWBOY"
The Marlboro Man has been used with varying degrees of success in anti-smoking advertising. Here, though, the dead horse slumped at his feet powerfully illustrates the dangers of passive smoking.
Agency: Ogilvy & Mather Mumbai
Copywriter: Piyush Pandey
Art director: Rajiv Rao
8. NUTRASWEET "JEANS"
A rip-off of the Levi's "twisted" campaign by BBH, these ads shows how the weight falls off when you start using Nutrasweet. A fine pastiche that must have provoked a few double-takes.
Agency: Del Campo Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi
Copywriter: Pablo Batlle
Art directors: Hernan Jaurequi/Ina Ki Gonzales del Solar
9. COVENANT HOUSE CHARITY APPEAL "COMPUTER/LEVER HOCKEY/NET"
Under the message "not all kids want the same things for Christmas", this ad baldly contrasts wholesome teenagers delighted with their new gifts with the kids who aren't so lucky and are sleeping rough over the holidays.
Agency: TAXI Toronto
Copywriter: Terry Drummond
Art director: Alan Madill
10. CASIO MINI TV "TV DINNER/POPCORN/TV GUIDE"
This campaign shrinks other things traditionally associated with TV. So we see a tiny TV guide, microscopic popcorn and a miniscule TV dinner.
Simple, to-the-point advertising that displays originality for not surrendering to the need to show the product.
Country: New Zealand
Agency: Colenso BBDO Auckland
Copywriter: Connan James
Art director: Darran Wong Kam
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Media Business Director PFJ £70000.00 - £90000 per annum, London
- PERFORMANCE PLANNING DIRECTOR - MOBILE BRAND! Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- CEO Gail Gallie departs Fallon
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Ex-M&S marketing chief Steven Sharp is consulting for WPP