Honey Monster takes on rap role in Y&R ad
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 03 July 1998 12:00AM
Young & Rubicam’s new spot for Sugar Puffs shows the Honey Monster in his latest guise - as Puff Daddy, an American rap star.
Young & Rubicam’s new spot for Sugar Puffs shows the Honey Monster
in his latest guise - as Puff Daddy, an American rap star.
Sugar Puff Daddy is decked out in the attire of a wealthy West Coast
rapper, with a cool white suit, glitzy walking cane, wraparound shades
and a collection of heavy gold neck chains.
The commercial was shot in the style of a rap video, with a song to
match: ’I’m yawning in the morning when I reach for my bowl, and that
wicked honey wheat that fills a hole ... I’m the Sugar Puff Daddy with
something to say, there’s no better breakfast to save the day.’
The ad opens with the Honey Monster sitting on an ornate throne beside a
classic Beverly Hills-style swimming pool, surrounded by minders and
gorgeous women in bikinis. The posse jumps into an open-topped limo and
heads downtown, past a basketball court where the Honey Monster leaps
out to demonstrate his prowess before signing autographs on packs of
Sugar Puffs for a crowd of admiring children.
The ad, which breaks next Monday, was directed by Rupert Sanders through
Tony Kaye Films. It was written and art directed by David West and
Richard Denney. A pounds 1.5 million media spend, through MediaVest,
will be targeted primarily at children.
The Honey Monster has been seen in a number of different guises in
recent commercials - for example, he has played football with Kevin
Keegan and Peter Schmeichel, danced with Boyzone and snow-boarded with
the Neighbours star, Emma Harrison.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior Digital Marketing Executive PFJ £25000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, City of London
- Copywriter Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £40000 per annum, Derbyshire
- Senior Designer Major Players £50000 - £60000 per annum, London
- Senior Web & ECRM Executive PFJ £25000.00 - £30000.00 per annum, London
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity