DIRECT NEWS: JWT poised to launch UK direct arm
By ELEANOR TRICKETT, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 03 July 1998 12:00AM
J. Walter Thompson is to launch a direct marketing arm in the UK, following the creation of a single global network, ThompsonConnect Worldwide.
J. Walter Thompson is to launch a direct marketing arm in the UK,
following the creation of a single global network, ThompsonConnect
The new network, the majority of whose 21 offices are in the US,
combines individual offices and affiliates that previously operated
under the JWT Direct, Dialog and Enterprise names. Two offices are due
to open in Chicago and San Francisco, in addition to existing offices in
the North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin American markets.
Harry McAuslin, JWT’s deputy chairman, said: ’We have been looking for a
way of doing our below-the-line business in the UK for some time.
ThompsonConnect Worldwide is US-driven, but it will be a model for us to
Details of the operation’s structure are yet to be revealed. McAuslin
commented: ’Both setting up from scratch and buying an existing
operation have value - and problems.’
The agency is expected to share JWT’s profit centre. ’There will be an
element of cross-fertilisation with JWT clients,’ McAuslin added.
JWT has little below-the-line resource in the UK and no designated
agency for the area. JWT Manchester takes on a proportion of the work
but many clients approach other agencies to handle their direct
JWT’s sister WPP agency, Ogilvy & Mather, has a long-established direct
marketing network, OgilvyOne, which runs as a standalone outfit.
Separately, JWT New York this week picked up the dollars 90 million
global account for Merrill Lynch, of which dollars 20 million will be
spent on direct marketing (CampaignLive, 30 June).
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Partnerships Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum, London
- Head of Marketing - Luxury Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 per annum, South East
- Brand Communications Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + benefits, South East
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push