DIRECT NEWS: JWT poised to launch UK direct arm
By ELEANOR TRICKETT, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 03 July 1998 12:00AM
J. Walter Thompson is to launch a direct marketing arm in the UK, following the creation of a single global network, ThompsonConnect Worldwide.
J. Walter Thompson is to launch a direct marketing arm in the UK,
following the creation of a single global network, ThompsonConnect
The new network, the majority of whose 21 offices are in the US,
combines individual offices and affiliates that previously operated
under the JWT Direct, Dialog and Enterprise names. Two offices are due
to open in Chicago and San Francisco, in addition to existing offices in
the North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin American markets.
Harry McAuslin, JWT’s deputy chairman, said: ’We have been looking for a
way of doing our below-the-line business in the UK for some time.
ThompsonConnect Worldwide is US-driven, but it will be a model for us to
Details of the operation’s structure are yet to be revealed. McAuslin
commented: ’Both setting up from scratch and buying an existing
operation have value - and problems.’
The agency is expected to share JWT’s profit centre. ’There will be an
element of cross-fertilisation with JWT clients,’ McAuslin added.
JWT has little below-the-line resource in the UK and no designated
agency for the area. JWT Manchester takes on a proportion of the work
but many clients approach other agencies to handle their direct
JWT’s sister WPP agency, Ogilvy & Mather, has a long-established direct
marketing network, OgilvyOne, which runs as a standalone outfit.
Separately, JWT New York this week picked up the dollars 90 million
global account for Merrill Lynch, of which dollars 20 million will be
spent on direct marketing (CampaignLive, 30 June).
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel
- iProspect appoints chief media officer among four senior hires