BMP favours words in Vodafone ads rethink
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 03 October 1997 12:00AM
Vodafone has jettisoned its celebrity spokesman, Kyle MacLachlan, in favour of an advertising campaign promoting a new proposition: ’The word is Vodafone.’
Vodafone has jettisoned its celebrity spokesman, Kyle MacLachlan,
in favour of an advertising campaign promoting a new proposition: ’The
word is Vodafone.’
The pounds 15 million through-the-line campaign has been created by BMP
DDB, and includes the agency’s first direct marketing work for Vodafone.
It aims to underline the rebranding of the Peoples Phone and Talkland
outlets, and to promote the company’s new identity and logo.
A 60-second commercial builds on Vodafone’s pioneering history, posing
the question, ’What are words worth?’, and taking a look at a series of
evocative situations. The poignancy of each scene is highlighted by a
one-line explanation using lines including ’first words’, ’careless
words’, ’mum’s the word’ or ’words of joy’, which are contained within
the recognisable red speechmark of the new Vodafone logo.
The spot, written by Mike Hannett and Dave Buchanan, ends with the
campaign line: ’The word is Vodafone.’ It was directed by Leonardo
Ricagni through Great Guns.
A poster and print campaign supporting the TV work breaks this week,
starting with a series of 12 teaser ads. One poster asks: ’You sure it’s
left at the lights?’, while another says: ’Don’t move. I’m on my way.’
Some are even more obscure, using only punctuation or numbers.
Mark Reddy, BMP’s joint head of art, explained: ’The press and poster
campaign features a panoply of strange and wonderful expression. The
typography differs in each ad. They come together with the red
speechmark property and the modern, metallic background.’
Media is planned and bought by BMP Optimum.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Associate Research Director Jarlett de Grouchy £35000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Customer Marketing Manager Jarlett de Grouchy Competitive + Comprehensive Benefits, Surrey
- Client Manager - Brand & Advertising Jarlett de Grouchy £35000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, West Midlands / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Insight Executive Jarlett de Grouchy £23000.00 - £28000.00 per annum, Northamptonshire / London (Central), London (Greater)