BBH goes beyond advertising with music and magazines
By Glen Mutel,, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 16 April 2003 03:30PM
LONDON - Bartle Bogle Hegarty is expanding its services beyond advertising with the launch of a music publishing arm, a promotional video production division and a magazine.
Leap is a joint venture between BBH and Richard Kirstein, a former commercial director and ex-head of film, television and media at Zomba records.
Through Leap, Kirstein will acquire unpublished songs and commission original compositions for use in TV commercials, as well as handle talent and rights negotiations for unsigned artists.
Over the past decade, numerous BBH-produced ads have featured tracks that have subsequently reached the upper levels of the UK top 40. The most recent example is 'Make Luv' by Room 5, which featured in the latest Lynx spot and went straight to number one upon its release.
Through Leap, the agency will be able to retain the rights to these songs. As well as creating a new revenue stream, the move will also give the agency greater access to, and control over, original music for its ads.
In addition, BBH's directorial division, Mint Source, is to move into music video production. This follows its recent video for The Dysfunctionals' Nelle Hooper mix of 'Payback Time'. The track featured in the latest Levi's Type One ad.
The agency is also set to publish a magazine called Zag, under the editorial control of the ex-Esquire editor Peter Howarth and produced by a newly created custom publishing venture, the details of which have yet to be finalised.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager / Account Manager David Thatcher Recruitment £32-40k dep experience, Surrey
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £300 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Copywriter Dubai MCG Associates Salary tax free plus relocation costs plus private healthcare, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)