Channel 4 hands £3m media strategy brief to Naked
By Ian Darby,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 08 May 2003 11:00AM
LONDON - Naked Communications has won the media strategy account for Channel 4's E4 and FilmFour channels, dealing a blow to Michaelides & Bednash, which has worked on the brands since their launch.
M&B will continue to work on media strategy for Channel 4, but has been replaced by Naked on E4 and FilmFour after Polly Cochrane, Channel 4's director of marketing, who originally hired M&B in 1998, decided to talk to other agencies.
Naked will handle media strategy for E4 and FilmFour's £3m spend and will also work on a wider communications role for the brands. It will help develop the proposition of the channels, focusing on subscriber retention and acquisition for FilmFour and the positioning of E4. Channel 4's media buying, which is handed by OMD UK, is unaffected by the move.
The agency's appointment follows a recent improvement in fortunes for 4Ventures, the Channel 4 division that houses E4 and FilmFour. After a series of cutbacks, it reduced losses by 53% and increased turnover by 20% to £125.6m.
Naked's team will report to Rufus Radcliffe, the head of marketing at E4, and Lisa McHugh, the FilmFour head of marketing.
M&B's work for Channel 4 has included last year's "Indian Summer" activity to support the broadcaster's Test Match cricket coverage. Indian Summer won the Grand Prix at the Campaign Media Awards last November. The agency also developed media strategy for Channel 4 programming such as 'Sex and the City' and last year's Andy Warhol series.
John Harlow, Naked's managing partner, said: "Naked is proud to be working with innovators such as E4 and FilmFour. There is a great amount of professional and personal enthusiasm for the channels at the agency."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- PR Account Manager Brand Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum + plus bonus, Milton Keynes
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 per annum, South West
- Account Manager/SAM - Corporate to £45k Network Career Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Market Researcher Ball & Hoolahan £35,000 per annum, South East
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- Metro launches content agency