Kronenbourg pushes premium lager
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 11 July 2003 12:00AM
Scottish Courage is intensifying the competition in the "designer lager" market with advertising for a new Kronenbourg premium brew to challenge the Stella Artois "reassuringly expensive" campaign.
M&C Saatchi has produced the national press campaign for Kronenbourg Premier Cru, a luxury lager that Scottish Courage aims to turn into the "Champagne" of the beer sector.
The message is underlined in a trio of executions, all of which feature the product being drunk in indulgent situations in the South of France.
In one, a man is seen drinking in the back of a chauffeur-driven classic Daimler on the Croisette in Cannes. In another, the drinker is featured in the garden of a luxurious Cote d'Azur villa. In the third, the man enjoys Premier Cru aboard a speeding motor boat.
All the ads appear with the tongue-in-cheek line: "Serving suggestion." Matt Eastwood, the agency's creative director, said: "We wanted the audience to respond with a wry smile and a knowing nod."
The ads were written by Tom Spicer, art directed by Sergio Martin and shot by Jake Walters.
MediaVest is buying media for the campaign, which begins next Saturday and will run throughout the summer in an attempt to win over discerning drinkers aged between 25 and 35.
Premier Cru, launched in off-licences last month, reflects Scottish Courage's attempt to exploit the growth in consumers who have interest in speciality beers but who want the reassurance of a well-known brand.
Nick Hurrell, M&C Saatchi's joint chief executive, said: "Premier Cru is actually an attempt to go 'super premium' and to present it as a more contemporary alternative to Stella, which is still in Jean De Florette territory."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account