Agency Republic nets BBC World Service digital account
By Staff,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 17 July 2003 03:00PM
LONDON - The BBC World Service has appointed Agency Republic to handle its pan-European digital creative advertising account after a seven-way pitch.
Agency Republic has been briefed to develop a digital campaign to launch the BBC's online news site to a European audience. The campaign will promote the diverse range of international news, analysis and information that is available in English 24 hours a day.
"This is the first time the BBC's highly successful international online site bbcnews.com has been launched outside of the UK," Alan Booth, the controller of BBC World Service marketing, said.
BBC World Service broadcasts programmes around the world in 43 languages and is available on radio and online.
The digital pitch, which kicked off in June, has been run in line with a directive to ramp up the impact of the broadcast service through the use of modern technology.
Despite posting a record global weekly audience of 153m in 2001, Europe has seen its audience decline from 16m in 1998/1999 to 14m in 2000/2001.
In company reports for 2001, the BBC World Service was granted an extra £64m over three years to plough into extending key services such as new media.
A particular focus of the increase is to fund online development in key languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese and Hindi.
The BBC World Service is funded by a Parliamentary grant-in-aid, administered by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- UK Marketing Controller Better Placed Recruitment £40000 - £49000 per annum + Car Allowance + Bonus , Greater Manchester
- Senior Account Director Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment Competitive Salary, Birmingham
- Brand Manager Sky negotiable, Middlesex
- Web Designer / Front-End Designer / Digital Creative Guru Careers £35 - 50k DOE, Based in Angel, London (WC1)
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity