Starcom MediaVest to handle HP Bulmer business
By Jeremy Lee,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 28 August 2003 11:00AM
LONDON - HP Bulmer, the brewery behind the Strongbow, Woodpecker and Scrumpy Jack brands, has shifted its £8m media planning and buying account into Starcom MediaVest.
The move follows the takeover of the Hereford-based Bulmer by Scottish & Newcastle, which uses Starcom MediaVest as its agency of record, earlier this year.
Starcom MediaVest won the account, worth £4 million last year, from MindShare without a pitch. A spokesman for Scottish & Newcastle said the move was part of a consolidation process following the integration of the Bulmer marketing function into Scottish & Newcastle.
Scottish & Newcastle, which makes Foster's and Kronenbourg, bought the brewers for £278m. The family owned Bulmer business was put up for sale following profits warnings after the company embarked on over-ambitious expansion plans.
The Bulmer portfolio of alcohol brands includes Amstel Lager, San Miguel as well as the cider brands. However, approximately three-quarters of Bulmer's spend is devoted to Strongbow.
The move follows Bulmer's decision to shift its creative assignment into Starcom MediaVest's sister Publicis agency Leo Burnett in June.
TBWA's last work for Strongbow was the Get the Thirst campaign featuring young men going to elaborate lengths to work up a thirst. This succeeded the long-running Johnny Vaughan-fronted "live to loaf" series of ads.
Starcom MediaVest takes over the Bulmer account at the beginning of next year.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Executive Adam Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, Liverpool
- Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits, Manchester
- Search Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, Manchester
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London