Aldi calls agencies to pitch for share of UK creative account
By Mark Sweney, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 26 September 2003 12:01AM
The budget supermarket chain Aldi is holding a review of its £4.5 million creative advertising account.
Aldi, a pioneer of the heavily discounted, no-frills sales model, has called an undisclosed number of agencies to pitch for an estimated £3 million chunk of its UK advertising account.
It is not known if the incumbent agency, Carney Richardson, has been asked to re-pitch for the business. Media planning and buying, handled by Media Campaign Services, is not thought to be affected by the review.
The chain, which offers products from homewares to textiles and electronics, opened its first store in the UK in 1990 and now has 270 outlets. It has more than 6,600 stores worldwide.
In the UK, Aldi competes against Lidl and, to a lesser extent, with the likes of Asda, Safeway, Tesco and Woolworths.
Aldi's model focuses on a core group of popular products. It offers discounted prices on about 700 food items - a typical grocery store has up to 25,000.
Last year, the company introduced a healthy-eating range, called Balance Lifestyle, and has recently moved into developing wine and ice-cream products.
Aldi opened its first store more than 40 years ago in Germany. One of its most significant developments since was the launch of its limited assortment stores in the US in 1976. This led to the current model of the Aldi store in the UK that offers the typical range of 700 products.
The store group is currently embarking on an ambitious UK expansion programme and is looking to acquire both town-centre and edge-of-centre sites
No-one at Aldi was available for comment as Campaign went to press.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London