BBH's Bisto campaign highlights sauce range
By Glen Mutel, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 14 November 2003 12:00AM
Bartle Bogle Hegarty's first campaign for Bisto will focus on the brand's range of sauces rather than the gravy product it is famous for.
The campaign, which will run from 17 November until Christmas, retains the famous "Ahh! Bisto" strapline and positions the brand as the perfect finishing touch to a meal.
The campaign is spearheaded by a humorous 30-second TV ad starring Richard Ellis, the Welsh actor. In it, a couple hold a dinner party for two friends who have returned from holiday and have photos to show off.
The meal turns uncomfortable when the host describes someone in one of the photos as having "manboobs". Unfortunately, as he revels in his own joke, his guest informs him that the "man" is in fact her mother.
The ensuing minutes of agonising silence are punctured when the hostess passes around the cheese sauce. The guests take a bite and utter the words "Aah! Bisto", at which point the atmosphere improves. The relieved host then concedes that his own mother is "a proper gomper".
The television campaign, which will run on national UK stations, is accompanied by four similarly themed radio executions. They will air on regional stations.
The campaign is BBH's first since it won the £2 million Bisto advertising account from Saatchi & Saatchi in June.
Bisto, owned by Centura Foods, is approaching its centenary. The campaign aims to use the sauce range to help rejuvenate the brand's image and make it more relevant to modern mealtimes.
Mel Exon, the business director on Bisto at BBH, said: "BBH's first Bisto campaign sets out to extend the brand beyond gravy into sauces in a modern and relevant way."
The campaign was written by Justin Moore and art directed by Steve Robertson.
Vizeum planned and bought the media.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London
- Junior Account Manager and Account Manager air recruitment Up to £28K dependent on experience, Central London