Grey London to 'take 30% stake' in Naked Ambition
By Ian Darby,, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 28 November 2003 11:00AM
LONDON - Grey Worldwide London is to take a significant stake in Naked’s new venture Naked Ambition, which is to become the media communication firm's second string agency.
Grey is keen to emulate the success of Mother in backing Naked's original launch and of Clemmow Hornby Inge in joining forces with Naked to launch Naked Inside.
Details of Grey's involvement in Naked Ambition, a spin-off from Naked to enable it to handle conflict, have not been confirmed. However, one source suggested that the ownership of Naked Ambition could involve Grey taking a 30 per cent interest, with Naked's founders maintaining a controlling 51 per cent share and Naked Ambition’s management, led by the former Mediaedge:cia managing director, Matt James, taking 19 per cent equity.
Garry Lace, Grey's chief executive, denied that a deal had already been done and also said that the 30 per cent equity figure was "wide of the mark". He said: "We are in the middle of talking to them [Naked] but as it stands I can’t tell you what will happen. Absolutely nothing is signed or sealed yet and there is every chance there might not be."
Grey's talks with Naked raise the possibility of Naked sharing Grey clients, as it has done with Mother clients such as Orange, ITV Digital and Batchelors.
The talks also raise questions over Grey's relationship with its sister media agency MediaCom. However, Naked has worked closely with MediaCom in the past on shared clients such as Egg. Steve Allan, the chief executive of MediaCom, refused to comment on the talks.
James joins Naked next week to launch Naked Ambition, which is part of
the agency's strategy to diversify into a family of smaller companies rather than building one large agency.
Naked hopes that Naked Ambition will be able to work for clients that conflict with existing Naked business as well as building its own
Nobody at Naked was available for comment.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London
- Sales Manager - Content Business Ultimate Asset £30000 - £37000 per annum + incredible commission, London
- Affiliate Executive - Huge Client - Global Media Agency Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum, London
- Pharmaceutical Associate/Account Director/ (Full or Part-Time) Brand Recruitment £45000 - £55000 per annum, Bedford
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- Campaign Viral Chart: first kiss video is most-shared ad this week
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed