MEDIA: ZEITGEIST - British architecture is cool as displayed by the Foreign Office exhibition at the ICA
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 05 December 2003 12:00AM
Despite the odds being stacked against it (an innate cultural cautiousness, an obsession with conservation, Prince Charles), British architecture is currently really hot.
Two weeks ago, planning permission was given for the construction of the "Shard of Glass", a slender pyramid (or spike if you prefer) of a building on the South Bank near London Bridge that will become Europe's tallest building. Back in September, the new Selfridges building in Birmingham, by the architects Future System, wowed the world.
So this exhibition of the work of Foreign Office Architects - another cool (the coolest in the world, according to The Times) British architecture company - is timely. And Foreign Office Architects have been in the news several times over the past few weeks. They will take a lead role in developing the master plan for London's bid for the Olympics in 2012 and they have just been appointed as the architects on the BBC's new Music Centre at White City.
The exhibition: Breeding Architecture
Architects: Foreign Office Architects
The venue: The ICA
Until: 29 February 2004
Admission: An economically attractive £1.50
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account