WORLD: MY PORTFOLIO - Jose Roberto Bezerra
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 12 December 2003 12:00AM
Jose Roberto Bezerra has been working in Brazil's advertising industry for almost 30 years and is one of the country's most respected typographers.
Bezerra has had stints at several of Brazil's most respected agencies, including W/Brasil. Since 1993, however, Bezerra has been with Almap BBDO.
Bezerra has worked on several award-winning campaigns, including Brazil's Eye Care Foundation, which won a gold at Cannes. One of the ads, entitled "after 70", also won the award for best graphic design at the El Ojo da Iberoamericana festival. For Bezerra, the Eye Care campaign was special because of its fusion between art, photography and illustration. "The use of colour also gives each of the ads a unique texture that sets the tone for each image," Bezerra says. The campaign is able to deal directly with serious issues because of its playful nature, he suggests.
Recently, Bezerra also collaborated on the design of the colorful campaign for Havaianas flip-flop sandals. These ads represent some of his favourite work, because of their use of colourful, psychedelic imagery, as well as their high-quality illustrations and the clean and bright colours.
In 2000, Bezerra worked on the Cesar dog food campaign, "He might look like you, but he doesn't have to eat like you", which won the Grand Prix at Cannes. According to Bezerra, the images of dogs and their owners required careful manipulation "to create a climate of similarity between the two. Even the light and shadows had to have the same characteristics to emphasise the similarity between the dogs and their owners."
Another one of the projects produced by Bezerra for Stock Photos, entitled "Nobody does so much for a good photo", won a gold medal from the Brazilian Advertising Association.
From a production point of view, Bezerra said that the Stock Photos campaign was a pleasure to work on because of the quality of the images, which he sought to maintain. Because the photographs were so exceptional, Bezerra thought, it was important to let them speak for themselves.
- Jose Roberto Bezerra was talking to Elizabeth Johnson.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Senior Production Manager/ Production Director Premier Media £45,000 - £60,000, London
- Mid-Senior Planner | £50-70K Dynamic New Alliances £50000 - £70000 per annum + Excellent Package, City of London
- Mid Weight PM needed for Liverpool Street agency £32k Digital Gurus £32000 - £34000 per annum, London
- Brand Manager - Sports Direct Magazine Haymarket Media Group £26k - £28k, Teddington, Middlesex