CDP reveals TV push for new Canon digital camcorder
By MAIRI CLARK, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 06 November 1998 12:00AM
Canon is launching a range of digital camcorders with a pounds 500,000 TV campaign, the first to be created by CDP and filmed using the actual camcorder on offer.
Canon is launching a range of digital camcorders with a pounds
500,000 TV campaign, the first to be created by CDP and filmed using the
actual camcorder on offer.
The six ten-second TV ads, which also mark the first time Canon has
advertised its camcorder range on TV, each use a classic film title to
describe a typical home video moment with the strapline, ’Cinematic home
movie moments from Canon.’ In one, a toddler is shown sitting in a room
surrounded by his scattered toys. He is Demolition Man. In Frankenstein,
a tousle-haired young man is filmed sitting straight up in bed, while
Room with a View shows a proud new homeowner rejoicing in the bleak
scenery she can see from her window.
The final spots draw parallels between an uneasy godparent and the
Godfather, and a defeated football team and Twelve Angry Men.
Canon launched its first digital camcorder range in 1987. This campaign
promotes the DM-MV10 model, which is one of the lightest of its
The camera features a flip-out LCD display that allows users to see what
is being filmed, even if the camera is being held above head height. It
also features an optical image stabilizer, minimizing camera shakes.
Sally Ward, account director on Canon at CDP, commented: ’The camcorder
market is very competitive and this campaign is consumer oriented. We
wanted to maximise on the MV-10’s easy-to-use qualities and editing
facilities to show people how they can be their own film director.’
The TV campaign breaks this week on terrestrial, cable and satellite
television and will run for four weeks. The films, created by Tad Safran
and Rob Kitchen, were shot by the director, JJ Keith, on a Canon digital
camcorder to show the quality of the range. It was produced by Smith
The campaign is the first advertising that CDP has created for Canon’s
camcorder range since winning the business in January.
Before that, the agency had produced work for Canon’s photographic
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £30000.00 - £36000.00 per annum, City of London
- Junior Product Owner / Business Analyst - Mobile Digital Gurus £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, package etc, London
- Digital PM with CMS build exp Digital Gurus £40000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £17000 - £22000 Per Annum DOE, Wilmslow
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity