BBC pushes Five Live news provision
By Mark Sweney, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 February 2004 12:00AM
DFGW has produced a television campaign for BBC Radio Five Live to push the sports station's credentials as a provider of news.
The campaign aims to change the perception held by the public that the station is primarily a football commentary station, when in fact up to 70 per cent of its content is news.
DFGW has created three spots of 60 , 40 and 30 seconds, and two poster executions. The ads show vignettes of everyday people caught up in situations that they have a strong opinion about but who say nothing. BBC Radio Five Live is positioned as the outlet and champion for speaking these views, with each ad ending with the strapline: "BBC Radio Five Live Speaks Your Mind."
For example, the 60-second spot opens in a cafe with a cook turning on Radio Five Live. Two men are smoking and annoying the waitress. They blow smoke on her, which transforms into the line: "I'm not hurting anyone." It cuts to a football team pushing an old man out of the way as they run on to the field. The words on the back of their shirts read: "Over-rated, overpaid and dollars @?%*!" The spot cuts to a policeman who is on edge as he unfurls tape to block off a street after a shooting. The words on the crime scene tape read: "Round here coppers need guns." The ad finishes in the original cafe where the endline flows out of the radio and forms at the bottom of the screen.
The ads were written by Dan Gorlov and art directed by Rachel Le Fuevre. Direction was by Sam Brown and Sam Brady through BBC Broadcast.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire