JWT fights off four to secure dollars 20m global Gulf Air task
By ELEANOR TRICKETT, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 08 January 1999 12:00AM
Gulf Air, the national carrier of Bahrain, Oman, Qatar and Abu Dhabi, has appointed J. Walter Thompson to handle its dollars 20 million global advertising account.
Gulf Air, the national carrier of Bahrain, Oman, Qatar and Abu
Dhabi, has appointed J. Walter Thompson to handle its dollars 20 million
global advertising account.
JWT pitched against Ogilvy & Mather, Grey, WCRS and DDB. MindShare has
been appointed to handle media on the business.
Michael Maedel, the president of JWT Europe, Africa and the Middle East,
said: ’This is an important and exciting win for us. Gulf Air is a
growing and ambitious company, which is investing significantly in all
areas of its business. The account will be based in our London office
but will link into offices around our network.
Gulf Air’s last campaign was through WCRS but it has not advertised for
nearly two years. London is the major hub for Gulf Air and the bulk of
the spend will be in the UK. The airline has lost ground in recent years
to Emirates and the appointment of JWT is a signal that Gulf Air intends
to re-establish its superiority in the market.
JWT is expected to recommend a global TV campaign for Gulf Air, backed
by tactical regional spend on press and posters. Harry MacAuslan, deputy
chairman of JWT, said: ’Advertising is only the tip of the iceberg. This
is the start of a new initiative for the whole company.’
At the same time, JWT has also been appointed to handle the Coty Rimmel
account worldwide. The agency won the pounds 4 million UK business two
years ago after a pitch against Bartle Bogle Hegarty, Ammirati Puris
Lintas and Testa International.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Integrated Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £25000.00 - £30000.00 per annum, London
- Brand Analyst, Social Media Hasson Associates £30,000 - £35,000, Central London
- Senior Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum + car allowance+ bonus, Berkshire
- Associate Director, Consumer Research Jarlett de Grouchy £38000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, Oxfordshire