US government hands M&C Saatchi tourism assignment
By Staff,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 25 March 2004 03:00PM
LONDON - M&C Saatchi has been picked to play a leading role in the US government's campaign to woo back foreign visitors who have shunned the country since the September 11 terrorist attacks.
The agency will handle creative work for an advertising, marketing and PR initiative, which will begin in the UK and be backed by an initial $6m (£3.32m) budget.
It will work on the initiative in tandem with Edelman, the PR company, and BVK, a US-based integrated marketing specialist. Walker Media will handle UK media planning and buying.
The appointment, made after a pitch to senior officials of the US Department of Commerce two months ago, is the precursor to a TV and print campaign that will break later this year. M&C Saatchi in London will lead the campaign, but will work closely with its office in Los Angeles.
The advertising will aim to restore the fortunes of a US tourism industry that has been badly affected by the 2001 attacks on New York and Washington. Foreign visitors spent $102bn in 2000 but the figure dropped to $87.4bn in 2002.
The campaign is intended not only to increase visitor numbers but also to increase the amount that they spend. It will also aim to make the US top-of-mind when people plan their holidays.
Moray MacLennan, the chief executive of M&C Saatchi, commented: "It's a fascinating assignment."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Partnerships Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum, London
- Head of Marketing - Luxury Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 per annum, South East
- Brand Communications Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + benefits, South East
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- Campaign Viral Chart: first kiss video is most-shared ad this week
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed