NEWS: Rainey Kelly triumphs in Times ad shoot-out
By JOHN OWEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 08 December 1995 12:00AM
Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe is set to take the Times back into brand- led advertising after netting the newspaper’s ad account following a prolonged pitch process.
Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe is set to take the Times back into brand-
led advertising after netting the newspaper’s ad account following a
prolonged pitch process.
Rainey Kelly fought off final-round challenges from Publicis and the
incumbent, Arc Advertising, after an initial six-way contest which also
included Lowe Howard-Spink, Ogilvy and Mather and WCRS.
Meanwhile, it is rumoured that Euro RSCG Wnek Gosper has joined Arc and
Ogilvy and Mather in the battle for the pounds 3 million Sunday Times
account. A decision is thought to be imminent.
The decision on the Times was taken only after extensive research into
the final proposed ideas had been carried out. In a statement released
this week, News International said: ‘The choice of Rainey Kelly was made
in the light of its outstanding creative focus, which proved in
comprehensive research to have the most impact, and for its ability to
communicate with a younger, upmarket audience.’
The proposed shift in advertising strategy, which stems from the ending
of the price war between the Times and the Daily Telegraph, is expected
to come next spring with a heavyweight branding campaign.
Spend for 1996 is likely to increase substantially from last year’s
pounds 5 million (Register-MEAL) as the Times continues with its
tactical promotional activity alongside the branding push.
Responding to allegations that the pitch was badly run, Jim Kelly, a
managing partner at the agency, said: ‘This was one of the most
professionally run pitches I have been involved with.’
The win is the latest in a string of high-profile new-business successes
for Rainey Kelly this year. Others include Miller and Beauty
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire