NEWS: Y&R picks up Colgate global task
By EMMA HALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 08 December 1995 12:00AM
Young and Rubicam has scooped Colgate-Palmolive’s entire dollars 550 million worldwide account in an international realignment which deprives Foote Cone and Belding of an estimated dollars 200 million in billings.
Young and Rubicam has scooped Colgate-Palmolive’s entire dollars 550
million worldwide account in an international realignment which deprives
Foote Cone and Belding of an estimated dollars 200 million in billings.
In the UK, Y&R already has the lion’s share of the business, but it
gains the Ajax household cleaner brand with its three variants - cream,
liquid and scourer - which Colgate-Palmolive did not back with any
advertising support last year. A campaign is planned for next year.
Reuben Mark, the chairman and chief executive officer of Colgate,
promised: ‘We will be investing even more in core brand advertising next
Soft and Gentle anti-perspirant was awarded to Y&R from FCB a year ago.
This year, Colgate-Palmolive has been running adaptations of FCB ads,
spending pounds 1.5 million on the brand, but a big relaunch and a new
campaign backed by a hefty spend is expected early next year.
Toby Hoare, the managing director of Y&R in London, commented: ‘This is
a very positive statement from our largest client. Our agency network is
big and robust enough to accommodate this brave move.’
In addition to the realignment, a new agency payment plan has been
introduced, involving a switch from commissions to a fee-based system
with added performance incentives.
Mark explained: ‘This consolidation is a further step to increased
efficiency, agency accountability and ever-improving creativity, while
freeing up additional funds for brand-building media.’
Colgate is the first fmcg giant to consolidate all its worldwide
advertising into one agency, in a move which tops IBM’s dollars 500
million global switch into Ogilvy and Mather in May 1994.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account/Project Manager - Brand Campaigns Kate Marsh Recruitment up to £32K, East London
- Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Marketing Manager The Great & The Good £30,000 - £35,000, South West London
- Internal Communications Executive / Manager ADLIB Salary Flexible DOE, Bristol
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office