Safeway unveils BDH debut spots
By John Tylee, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 21 May 2004 12:00AM
BDH\TBWA has produced its first TV advertising for Safeway, fuelling speculation that the supermarket will join its new owner, Morrison, at the Manchester agency.
Industry sources have been predicting advertising for the two chains would be run out of Morrison's northern heartland, a prediction that was reinforced earlier this month when Mediaedge:cia Manchester won the centralised media planning account for Morrison and Safeway.
BDH's new work for Safeway reflects the fact that thousands of prices in Safeway outlets are being reduced and brought into line with those in Morrison stores and emphasises the fact that Safeway is now "part of the Morrison family".
It is understood that BDH has been working on strategic issues following the acquisition of Safeway by Morrison since November.
As a result, the consolidated creative account is expected to be aligned within BDH once the break with Safeway's agency, Clemmow Hornby Inge, has been completed.
BDH's new advertising for Safeway and Morrison, which breaks nationally this week, is in line with the agreed positionings of the stores since the takeover.
While some 300 of Safeway's larger outlets will be rebranded as Morrison, the Safeway name will be used in a network of smaller high-street convenience stores.
Morrison's offering is presented in five 30-second spots that extend its "reasons to shop" campaign by highlighting its fresh deli products and fishmonger service.
A 40-second ad for Safeway shows a young boy watching in amazement as the store's prices change before his eyes and a new tagline: "Enjoy the change." It will be supported by outdoor, radio, national and regional press work.
All the ads were produced by the BDH creative team of Chris Lear and Doug Laird and directed by Theo Delaney for Hotspur & Argyle.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Account Executive - Event Staffing Agency - London Stonor £18-24K Dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Account Manager - Specialist Event Staffing Agency Stonor £26K - £32K + Benefits, Central London
- Head of Product Development Advanse £55,000 , East Midlands
- Frontend Developer (Angular.JS) Digital Gurus £30000 - £50000 Per Annum Bonus + Benefits Available, Central London
- LEAD RETOUCHER (Ecommerce, Print, Creative, Fashion) Creative Recruitment Ã‚£26000 - Ã‚£35000 per annum, London