Independent posts fastest rise in circulation
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 21 May 2004 12:00AM
The Independent, which this week moved to publishing only its compact version, had the fastest-growing circulation in April.
It added 15 per cent year on year to reach a sale of 260,259. However, its month-on-month sale was up by less than 1 per cent, indicating a slowing down in its momentum.
The Times, the other newspaper to launch a compact edition, posted a 2 per cent circulation rise to 654,762. However, it was down 1 per cent month on month.
Sales of The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian, the two titles under pressure to launch new formats, were down year on year.
The Guardian fell by 4 per cent to 381,421 and The Daily Telegraph by just under 1 per cent to 923,449. But both titles showed slight increases on the previous month.
The tabloid titles The Sun and the Daily Mirror continued their downward sales trends. The Sun was down 5 per cent to 3,345,828 and the Daily Mirror was down 2 per cent to 1,888,145.
There was little movement in the mid-market sector, with the Daily Mail's circulation static on 2,407,392 and the Daily Express down slightly to 940,849.
The only mainstream Sunday titles to grow year on year were the Daily Star Sunday and The Mail on Sunday. The Daily Star Sunday was up 13 per cent to 521,995 and The Mail on Sunday grew by nearly 1 per cent to 2,394,503.
Ivan Fallon, the chief executive of Independent News & Media, said: "Seven consecutive months of double-digit growth in circulation, combined with record-breaking readership figures, confirm The Independent as the 'quality compact'."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Field Manager - Experiential Agency - up to £34k Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £34k, west london
- Senior Account Director/Group Account Director Twist Recruitment £48000.00 - £65000.00 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Digital Lead with Integrated Agency Gemini Search £60000 - £75000 per annum, City of London
- Product Manager - Global Automotive Giant - Berkshire Ninesharp £40000 - £50000 per annum + Great Benefits and Brand Car, Slough