E4 creative promotes its adult credentials
By Jeremy Lee, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 02 July 2004 12:00AM
Channel 4 is aiming to shake off E4's young image with an on- and off-air campaign promoting the more adult nature of some of its shows.
The campaign, devised by 4Creative and Naked, packages together some of its forthcoming series of The West Wing, The Sopranos and Six Feet Under as The Long Dark Summer.
The press campaign, bought by OMD, juxtaposes Californian surf-influenced typography and illustrations of words such as "violence", "greed", "paranoia" and "death". The illustrations mix surf iconography, such as palm trees and surfers, with knives and guns.
The on-air trails feature characters similar to those found in the shows, performing grisly tasks while singing along to Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday. For example, in one scenario two gangsters unload a bodybag from a car boot and toss it in the water.
Tom Tagholm wrote the press campaign and James Chambers was the art director.
Neil Gorringe wrote and art directed the on-air trails.
Rufus Radcliffe, the head of marketing at E4, explained: "E4 has a reputation for showing programmes such as Friends and Big Brother and we wanted to remind people that we also have a lot of fantastic adult drama. The Long Dark Summer is a humorous antidote to sickly summer programming and advertising. The themes of the shows explore darker issues and in the advertising we wanted to subvert this to show the contrast between light and dark."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London
- Senior Manager - CRM Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £45,000 - £50,000, Central London