NEWS: Fleming quits UK for Sydney shop
By CAROLINE MARSHALL, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 10 November 1995 12:00AM
Fergus Fleming, the acclaimed art director who won a string of awards for Saatchi and Saatchi during a long career at Charlotte Street, in London, is leaving London to join Saatchis’ Sydney office in the role of joint deputy creative director.
Fergus Fleming, the acclaimed art director who won a string of awards
for Saatchi and Saatchi during a long career at Charlotte Street, in
London, is leaving London to join Saatchis’ Sydney office in the role of
joint deputy creative director.
Fleming will be rejoining the network that made him and 16 other
Charlotte Street staff redundant in June this year after a string of
account losses and the departure of Maurice Saatchi.
Eight of the redundancies were in the agency’s creative department. The
hit list included Richard Grisdale, Fleming’s copywriter for five years,
who will partner him at the Sydney agency from January next year.
Fleming, who was a Saatchis staffer for 18 years, won a host of awards
including three Cannes golds - for the Samaritans, Pilkington Glass and
Index on Censorship - and four Campaign silvers.
He was a long-time partner of Saatchis’ former joint creative director,
Simon Dicketts, now at M&C Saatchi.
Fleming commented: ‘I’m leaving London because it’s become flat and
dead. It’s like the Civil Service. People who can’t do ads are in
Fleming will be joint deputy creative director with the copywriter, Mike
Newman. He will report to Bob Isherwood, Saatchis Sydney’s creative
director, who is taking on a more global role.
Fleming added: ‘It’s true to say that I’m going to Australia for the
culture, because Sydney feels like the early Saatchis culture to me.
It’s a small city and people can be more effective there.’
Saatchis Sydney’s national accounts include the brewer, Castlemaine
Perkins, the upmarket department store, David Jones, and one of
Australia’s largest insurance companies, the motoring organisation,
NRMA. Its major global accounts include Hewlett Packard, Samsung,
Vodafone and Toyota.
The combined billings for Saatchis’ Sydney and Melbourne offices is
pounds 42 million. Both shops report to the chief executive of Saatchi
and Saatchi Australia, David Birrel, who is employed by the Sydney
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Designer - Award winning agency - c£30k central London Fill Recruitment Ltd Central London, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Graduate Account Planner Havas EHS £16,000 + relocation , Cirencester, Cotswolds.
- Commercial Strategist - one of the fastest growing global innovation agencies Bamboo Crowd £30,000 - £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Web Designer become £38K, Hertfordshire
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account