Capital's Vaughan not expected to beat Tarrant figures
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 July 2004 12:00AM
Agencies anticipate that the latest radio audience figures will show that Johnny Vaughan, the new breakfast host on 95.8 Capital FM, has failed to win significant numbers of new listeners.
Despite heavy advertising support, Vaughan is not expected to top the 1.37 million listeners that tuned into Chris Tarrant's breakfast show in the first quarter.
Helen Keable, the head of radio at Manning Gottlieb OMD, said: "I think the best that Capital can hope for is the figure to hold; listening staying level would be a very good result for it."
Tim McCabe, the head of radio at Vizeum, said: "I predict a 20 per cent drop for Vaughan but that might not be as bad as it sounds because I think his audience leans towards a young male bias."
Rajar figures for the second quarter, which include the final two weeks of Tarrant's show, will be the first official indications of Vaughan's popularity following his move to the station in April.
Strong competition from Virgin, Heart and Radio 1's Chris Moyles following Tarrant's departure is said to have led to unusually high churn in London audiences.
However, Capital sources said they were happy with Vaughan and indicated that they were taking a long-term view of his audience.
Keith Pringle, the managing director of Capital FM, recently hit out at criticism of Vaughan that suggested he was alienating the female element of Tarrant's audience, claiming that "among women from the age of 20 to 45, he is doing a very good job".
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Digital Project Director - specialist integrated agency JEFFERSON £60-75k plus benefits dependent on experience, Based just outside Kingston Upon Thames
- Director Business Development - TRAVEL- HOTELS Ultimate Asset £60000 - £80000 per annum + BONUS & BENEFITS, City of London
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers