CAMPAIGN DIARY: I’M ONLY A PUNTER BUT ..
By MAIRI CLARK, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 11 September 1998 12:00AM
Remember when you’d see those ads with housewives enthusing about things like washing powder or a new shampoo? Well, I’ve found myself straying into that scary territory a couple of times in the past two weeks. It’s too frightening for words. The problem is, I’m beginning to feel that I’m living in an ad.
Remember when you’d see those ads with housewives enthusing about
things like washing powder or a new shampoo? Well, I’ve found myself
straying into that scary territory a couple of times in the past two
weeks. It’s too frightening for words. The problem is, I’m beginning to
feel that I’m living in an ad.
I was shopping for washing powder in Safeways the other week and
suddenly I was in the Bold ad.
You know, the one where the wife sends the husband to the shops to get
some soap powder and fabric conditioner and he buys the combined
I was standing there with a packet of washing powder in one hand and a
bottle of fabric conditioner in the other. Yes, standing in front of the
combined washing and fabric conditioners and thinking, ’both clean and
soft - for less?’. All I was lacking was the little boy running along
saying, ’we saved money’ and I was there.
The second incident came when I was happily chatting about a new pair of
black trousers when all of a sudden I heard my voice saying: ’Have you
tried those new Persil tablets yet?’ I’d become a soap-powder
I went on to elaborate about how it made my whites whiter than white but
kept my blacks black. And that the little string bag was ’dinky’.
I’ve never used the word before.
I don’t understand it. It’s not as though the advertising is any
If I was re-enacting scenes from Levi’s ’laundrette’ or driving my Volvo
in a hurricane then fine, but not compromising on price and value, it’s
If anyone knows an antidote, tell me. Please.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Marketing Assistant, up to £25k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 per annum, Benefits: +Fantastic Benefits, Teddington
- Full Stack Software Developer // BackBone.JS // Central London Salt negotiable, London
- Marketing, Social Media & Events Assistant Brand Recruitment £18000 - £21000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Presentation Designer Major Players negotiable, City of London
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%