NEWS: Avis invites three to pitch for new push against Hertz giant
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 12 January 1995 12:00AM
Avis Rent-a-Car is talking to agencies about a return to above-the-line advertising in Britain and Europe.
Avis Rent-a-Car is talking to agencies about a return to above-the-line
advertising in Britain and Europe.
The company has shortlisted three shops, which will next week present
their ideas for a test project, according to industry sources.
The winner will have the chance to spearhead Avis’s mainstream
advertising co-meback, backed by a budget of about pounds 2 million. The
work will begin in the UK, before rolling out across Europe.
Avis - best known for its ‘We try harder’ slogan - has confined itself
to below-the-line and trade press promotions in recent years.
The turnaround has been prompted by the development of new services,
which Avis hopes will enable it to compete more effectively with Hertz,
its biggest European rival.
The company’s last significant advertising in the UK was through Howell
Henry Chaldecott Lury. The 11-month relationship ended in the autumn of
1994 after disagreements over fees and marketing strategy.
Ten months ago, Avis appointed Grey Integrated and the sales promotion
agency, Black Cat, to handle its above- and below-the-line accounts in
Avis is the largest of the five major car hire companies operating in
Britain, with an estimated 15 per cent market share. Its primary target
is business customers. It has the largest airport network in the
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Junior Front End Developer Source £25000 - £28000 per annum, London
- Head of Design Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £45000 - £50000 per annum, Reading
- DIGITAL MARKETING MANAGER (Ecommerce, Retail, CRM) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, London
- WEB CONTENT COORDINATOR-(Retail,Ecommerce,CMS,Web Management) Creative Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Community Manager, Integrated Agency, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard
- Volvo van Damme spot nears 60 million YouTube views