NEWS: Avis invites three to pitch for new push against Hertz giant
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 12 January 1995 12:00AM
Avis Rent-a-Car is talking to agencies about a return to above-the-line advertising in Britain and Europe.
Avis Rent-a-Car is talking to agencies about a return to above-the-line
advertising in Britain and Europe.
The company has shortlisted three shops, which will next week present
their ideas for a test project, according to industry sources.
The winner will have the chance to spearhead Avis’s mainstream
advertising co-meback, backed by a budget of about pounds 2 million. The
work will begin in the UK, before rolling out across Europe.
Avis - best known for its ‘We try harder’ slogan - has confined itself
to below-the-line and trade press promotions in recent years.
The turnaround has been prompted by the development of new services,
which Avis hopes will enable it to compete more effectively with Hertz,
its biggest European rival.
The company’s last significant advertising in the UK was through Howell
Henry Chaldecott Lury. The 11-month relationship ended in the autumn of
1994 after disagreements over fees and marketing strategy.
Ten months ago, Avis appointed Grey Integrated and the sales promotion
agency, Black Cat, to handle its above- and below-the-line accounts in
Avis is the largest of the five major car hire companies operating in
Britain, with an estimated 15 per cent market share. Its primary target
is business customers. It has the largest airport network in the
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Partnerships Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum, London
- Head of Marketing - Luxury Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 per annum, South East
- Brand Communications Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + benefits, South East
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push