NEWS: Souter named to succeed Abbott
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 12 January 1995 12:00AM
Peter Souter has been appointed ‘creative-director-in-waiting’ at Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO as part of a plan to groom him as David Abbott’s successor.
Peter Souter has been appointed ‘creative-director-in-waiting’ at Abbott
Mead Vickers BBDO as part of a plan to groom him as David Abbott’s
The agency has bypassed its collection of experienced stars to raise
Souter, 33, to the rank of deputy creative director and charge him with
sustaining its creative culture after Abbott’s retirement.
‘Peter is my heir apparent and in the fullness of time he will succeed
me,’ Abbott said this week.
‘I don’t know exactly when that will be but he won’t be waiting in the
I don’t plan to leave the party yet but I’m having a swift look at my
The promotion of Souter, an award-winning copywriter, is a further
significant move by the agency’s founding partners to achieve a smooth
handover of power to the next generation of managers led by Andrew
Robertson, hired from WCRS last year as managing director.
For Souter, currently on holiday in the US, his rise to the brink of one
of the most coveted creative jobs in the industry has been meteoric and
comes just five years after he and his art director, Paul Brazier,
joined the agency.
Souter worked at Delaney Fletcher Delaney and Woollams Moira Gaskin
O’Malley before joining WCRS, where he was paired with Brazier. Soon
afterwards, the duo were drafted in to work on the agency’s ‘Frank N.
Stein’ electricity privatisation campaign.
At Abbott Mead, they have been associated with some of its most high-
profile accounts including Volvo, the Economist and the RSPCA, and
produced the ‘synchronised flying’ commercial for Delta Air Lines.
‘I’ve had my eye on Peter for some time,’ Abbott said. ‘I wanted
somebody capable of giving us the continuity we already have in other
areas. That has meant skipping a generation.’
He added: ‘Peter has a well-rounded talent. Not only does he have good
presentational skills but he is a passionate defender of the Abbott Mead
way of doing things.’
Souter will become increasingly involved in creative department
‘The appointment doesn’t seem to be ruffling feathers but you never know
what the fall-out will be,’ Abbott admitted.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Partner Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus, Brentford, London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent Benefits, East Midlands Region / Leicestershire
- Account Manager - Shopper / Promotional Marketing Agency Stonor £30K + as a benchmark but depends on level of experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Account Director - Digital Agency - Oxfordshire - £45k - NP084 Stonor £45k, Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Oxford, Oxfordshire