NEWS: Abbott Mead picks up pounds 15m Prudential prize
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 12 January 1995 12:00AM
Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO has taken less than a month to plug the gap on its roster left by the Leeds building society by capturing the Prudential’s pounds 15 million business.
Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO has taken less than a month to plug the gap on
its roster left by the Leeds building society by capturing the
Prudential’s pounds 15 million business.
The win is a huge consolation prize for the agency, which lost to Bates
Dorland in the race for the pounds 26 million account of the merged
Leeds and Halifax building societies (Campaign, 15 December 1995).
This week the Prudential confirmed it was switching to Abbott Mead,
having been initially rebuffed by the agency while the Halifax contest
was taking place.
When the result of the Halifax pitch reached the Prudential UK’s
managing director, Keith Bedell-Pearce, who was in Australia, he asked
Mike Tildesley, his head of marketing communications, to re-establish
The switch brings down the curtain on the Prudential’s fling with Mustoe
Merriman Herring Levy, which landed the account amid a fanfare in
September 1994. Nick Mustoe, the Mustoe Merriman chief executive, said
the loss of the Pru had been expected for several months and that no
redundancies would be necessary.
‘We’re disappointed the Prudential is going but we understand why, given
the personal relationships with Abbott Mead,’ he added.
The main task for Abbott Mead, which will reveal its first work in the
second quarter of the year, will be to strengthen the Prudential brand
within the crowded financial services sector.
Bedell-Smith is known to have been happy with Mustoe Merriman’s print
work but was concerned that the brand awareness being generated by the
TV campaign was not matching the investment.
Andrew Robertson, the Abbott Mead managing director, who renews a
relationship with Bedell-Smith forged at WCRS, said the agency would not
switch its Leeds team en masse on to the Prudential account.
‘We will be mixing and matching,’ he said.
Media remains with Pattison Horswell Durden.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Advertising Sales Executive Culture Shock Media Salary dependent on experience , plus commission. , SW London
- Planning Director - 12 Month Contract - Global Luxury Car Brand Speckled Frog Up to £110k, Central London
- International Cross-Media Account Manager- Up to £40K Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Comms Account Manager: £35k; TV/ENT's client Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%