Agencies line up as Matalan U-turns on advertising strategy
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 01 October 2004 12:00AM
The discount clothing retail company Matalan is looking for an advertising agency to handle its estimated £10 million account, only a year after turning its back on above-the-line marketing.
Last July, the company ended its relationship with M&C Saatchi and its sister direct marketing agency Lida as part of a strategy to refocus its marketing budget on low-cost advertising and direct mail. Briefs have since been divided between an in-house team and the artwork and photography supplier Capricorn.
However, Matalan is talking to agencies and is believed to have shortlisted five for a pitch. The review is not being conducted through an intermediary and is not expected to affect the company's relationship with its media agency, Feather Brooksbank.
M&C and Lida won the Matalan account in June 2002. The company spent £11.5 million above the line in the following year. However, the strategy changed when Ruth Start became the advertising manager last June.
Nobody at Matalan was available for comment as Campaign went to press.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Project Manager Zebra People £40000 - £50000 per annum, City of London
- Brand Strategist- Freelance createselect Market Rate, London (Greater)
- Client Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy Negotiable, London
- Digital Designer Creative Recruitment £28000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30,000 - £35,000, Central London
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- Martin Sorrell talks Maurice Lévy, Tesco, and the global outlook
- Viacom to bring Breaking Bad to Freeview with Spike launch
- WPP's Martin Sorrell reconsiders strength of newspapers
- Group M retains £80m Lloyds media
- Gogglebox stars encourage viewers to vote