Diary: Where great and good really got the talent to put them on the A List
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 15 October 2004 12:00AM
It's not every day that you get Hornby, Jaume, Durden, Weiland and Sorrell together in one room. What a line-up. There's not a client in Britain that wouldn't want these five flogging their products.
But this isn't the mother of all start-ups - it's the mothers of adland's finest, posing for a TBWA-produced campaign to promote the upcoming new edition of the Campaign A List.
Not that they knew why they were there. Both Thelma Durden and Esther Weiland complained that their famous sons had failed to fully explain the purpose of the day's shoot. And Lady Sonia Hornby's son was too busy to even call her, leaving it to his PA.
Smartly dressed, friendly and charming, the five proud mothers were later joined by an equally proud Professor Patrick O'Brien, the father of Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy's Helen Calcraft.
And like most parents, they are kept in the dark about the finer details of their offspring's work. For example, Sally Sorrell admitted that her son failed to consult her before buying Grey Global Group. We hope he's learned his lesson.
Cynthia Jaume revealed that her son Leon has always been a laid-back creative type, who grew his famous foppish locks to rebel against his father, who had always insisted on cutting his son's hair.
Problems arose when it came to the photo shoot itself. Being largely untouched by the self-important world of advertising, the mothers had trouble adopting the type of grimace one needs for a Campaign photo.
In an effort to stop herself from smiling, Lady Hornby had to imagine herself being displeased by her "Jonathan". Strange, but this image had the opposite effect on us.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Retail Store Designer Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £33000 per annum + bonus and benefits, London
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show