Unilever to announce plans for £680m media account
By Staff,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 21 October 2004 11:00AM
LONDON - Alan Rutherford, the global media director at Unilever, is meeting with his local media managers in Brussels today to announce his plans for the £680m European media buying account.
Rutherford is faced with two options -- he will either impose a single agency network across Europe to centralise the account or offer a recommendation for a network, allowing the media managers some input. Carat, Initiative and MindShare are all pitching for the account.
The review has been hit by rumours of dissent among some European territories, with some Unilever media managers reluctant to have centralisation imposed upon them. Germany tried to resist the review and Italy pulled out of it altogether, but no one at Unilever was able to confirm this. Germany and Italy are with MindShare.
In the event of a centralisation, Initiative has the most to lose -- with about £400m of billings, it is the incumbent in 11 Western European markets including the UK, Ireland, France, Spain and Portugal. MindShare looks after Unilever in Germany and Italy.
If the account does move, the winning agency will have to move fast in order to bed the account down ahead of the start of 2005 negotiations. In the UK, this will not present so much of a problem because one of its biggest media deals -- with ITV -- still has a year to run.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager - Branding up to £39k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £39000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Project Manager Emma & Rachael & You £40,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Press Officer Ball & Hoolahan £32,000 per annum, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head Of Strategy & Consumer Insight Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South West England
- Want a tactical ad? Should have gone to Specsavers
- Maxus confirmed as world's fastest growing media agency
- Greenpeace dresses up cats to help save tigers from extinction
- Why 2014 won't be the year of mobile advertising
- ITV's Adam Crozier: 'Work to be done' after losing out to C4 during World Cup
- Palestinian and Israeli bereaved families unite for 'anti-conflict' film