A woman as IPA president?
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 October 2004 12:00AM
The IPA is preparing to choose its next president amid speculation that it could abandon its tradition of selecting a male candidate from a creative agency for the first time in its 87-year history.
Pressure has been mounting on the trade body to appoint a woman to succeed Stephen Woodford, the WCRS chief executive, when his presidency ends in April.
But Hamish Pringle, the IPA director-general, this week refused to rule out the prospect of the job being handed to the senior executive of a media independent or a direct marketing agency.
The IPA council will meet in December to choose a candidate for approval at next year's annual meeting. A list of nominees will be presented by Bruce Haines, the previous president of the body, who is in charge of the process.
A break with established practice would acknowledge the IPA's broadening membership base. "I don't know whether we will elect a woman president but I hope it will happen soon," Pringle said. "I would also like someone from a media independent or the DM sector because that would send a powerful signal to the marketplace."
But he warned: "We don't want tokenism. The council must choose the person it thinks can best do the job."
- 24 hours with ... Hamish Pringle, p18; Comment, p52.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Partner Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus, Brentford, London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent Benefits, East Midlands Region / Leicestershire
- Account Manager - Shopper / Promotional Marketing Agency Stonor £30K + as a benchmark but depends on level of experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Account Director - Digital Agency - Oxfordshire - £45k - NP084 Stonor £45k, Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Oxford, Oxfordshire