Close-Up 2: 24 hours with ... Hamish Pringle
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 October 2004 12:00AM
Name: Hamish Pringle
Job: Director-general, IPA
Professional mission: To serve, promote and anticipate the collective
interests of our members
Professional mantra: To raise the real and received value of advertising
and marketing communications agencies in the IPA membership
6.25am My alarm goes off and I get dressed in my tennis kit and go downstairs to my exercise bike in the study. The house is quiet. To make the time more productive, I read and at the moment am enjoying The Pirate Inside by Adam Morgan. It reminds me of the Avis Rent A Car Advertising Philosophy by Robert Townsend in 1962 for Bill Bernbach and his agency: "A serious attempt will be made to create advertising with five times the effectiveness of the competition's advertising." Lots of great examples and interesting research. 8.30am Arrive at Belgrave Square. Check e-mail: 43 spam, plus positive feedback on articles for Market Leader and the Journal of Consumer Behaviour.
9.00am Regular two-hour directors' meeting. Good feedback from the regional dinner I attended last week for IPA members in East Anglia.
1.00pm Working lunch on our 2005 budget. The Bellwether Report has confirmed a rising market, so we're cautiously optimistic. In fact, the IPA weathered the recession pretty well, having added about 30 new agencies - especially in direct marketing - so maybe 2005 will be the year of our new lift.
2.00pm Have a quick meeting with Alison Hoad and Laurence Green, the convenor and the deputy convenor of judges for the IPA Effectiveness Awards.
3.00pm A number of calls including one from Shine TV, which wants me in its documentary on "brand Beckham" - hopefully another opportunity to mention the power of celebrity endorsement as evidenced by the IPA Effectiveness Awards.
4.00pm My assistant Pamela has done various letters including one for jury service asking for a deferral based on a booked Christmas holiday, but no doubt the summons will be repeated.
5.30pm Leave for House of Commons for IPA-sponsored debate. Baroness Buscombe is proposing the motion "This house believes consultation overload is the new red tape", seconded by Grant Duncan. Followed by speaker dinner afterwards at the Atrium on Millbank.
11.10pm Back home. House all quiet. Cycle waiting.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR Royds Raphael £65k + bonus & generous benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Corporate Branding Comms Royds Raphael £40k-£45k+&bonus+benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Notonthehighstreet.com launches brand campaign
- Publicis boss Maurice Lévy to step down in 2017 amid board shake-up
- 18 Feet & Rising wins Skoda digital brief
- Phones4u goes into administration