Close-Up 2: 24 hours with ... Hamish Pringle
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 October 2004 12:00AM
Name: Hamish Pringle
Job: Director-general, IPA
Professional mission: To serve, promote and anticipate the collective
interests of our members
Professional mantra: To raise the real and received value of advertising
and marketing communications agencies in the IPA membership
6.25am My alarm goes off and I get dressed in my tennis kit and go downstairs to my exercise bike in the study. The house is quiet. To make the time more productive, I read and at the moment am enjoying The Pirate Inside by Adam Morgan. It reminds me of the Avis Rent A Car Advertising Philosophy by Robert Townsend in 1962 for Bill Bernbach and his agency: "A serious attempt will be made to create advertising with five times the effectiveness of the competition's advertising." Lots of great examples and interesting research. 8.30am Arrive at Belgrave Square. Check e-mail: 43 spam, plus positive feedback on articles for Market Leader and the Journal of Consumer Behaviour.
9.00am Regular two-hour directors' meeting. Good feedback from the regional dinner I attended last week for IPA members in East Anglia.
1.00pm Working lunch on our 2005 budget. The Bellwether Report has confirmed a rising market, so we're cautiously optimistic. In fact, the IPA weathered the recession pretty well, having added about 30 new agencies - especially in direct marketing - so maybe 2005 will be the year of our new lift.
2.00pm Have a quick meeting with Alison Hoad and Laurence Green, the convenor and the deputy convenor of judges for the IPA Effectiveness Awards.
3.00pm A number of calls including one from Shine TV, which wants me in its documentary on "brand Beckham" - hopefully another opportunity to mention the power of celebrity endorsement as evidenced by the IPA Effectiveness Awards.
4.00pm My assistant Pamela has done various letters including one for jury service asking for a deferral based on a booked Christmas holiday, but no doubt the summons will be repeated.
5.30pm Leave for House of Commons for IPA-sponsored debate. Baroness Buscombe is proposing the motion "This house believes consultation overload is the new red tape", seconded by Grant Duncan. Followed by speaker dinner afterwards at the Atrium on Millbank.
11.10pm Back home. House all quiet. Cycle waiting.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Freelance Digital Designer - Mobile & Apps Aspire £200 - £280 per day, City of London
- ARTWORKERS - DIGITAL, INTEGRATED, BRANDING Live Recruitment £competitive, England
- ART DIRECTORS - DIGITAL, INTEGRATED, BRANDING Live Recruitment £competitive, England
- Senior Digital Project Manager Digital Gurus £45000 - £52000 Per Annum benefits, London
- Events Producer - London based brand engagement agency - 3 month contract Bamboo Crowd £35000-£40000, London (Greater)
- Virgin Media 'night owl' ad to break in Gogglebox
- Johnnie Walker calls global ad review
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Testicular cancer awareness campaign launches comedy show
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media