JWT launches TV spot for new Nestle snack
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 14 November 1997 12:00AM
J. Walter Thompson launches the first television advertising this week for Nestle’s new chocolate snack, Maverick, with a tongue-in-cheek film about an American eccentric.
J. Walter Thompson launches the first television advertising this
week for Nestle’s new chocolate snack, Maverick, with a tongue-in-cheek
film about an American eccentric.
Maverick, which appeared in shops for the first time last week, will
compete against Mars and Snickers in the heavy-eating category and is
positioned as ’a more interesting eat with an unconventional
A spokesperson at Nestle described Maverick as ’our biggest and most
exciting launch for at least 15 years.’ It is backed by a pounds 6
million media spend.
The 30-second film is shot in a reportage style - ’real’ footage is
intercut with flashbacks, which are shot as if by a camcorder.
The spot shows Curtis, a retired American car-eater, being interviewed
in his home about his past. The walls are lined with photographs of cars
he has admired and devoured. As he reminisces, he reveals he gave up his
career after he discovered Maverick. ’Fills you up like a Dodge, tastes
as good as a 66 Mustang,’ he muses.
The television campaign will be supported by bus-side advertising, which
continues the Maverick theme and uses the slogan: ’Great eats don’t come
Angus Fear, JWT’s director-in-charge on Nestle, said: ’In a way, Curtis
is Mr Maverick. His car-eating activity is distinctly different from the
way most people behave.’
The ad breaks this Sunday on Channel 4 in the film, the Shawshank
It will then roll-out on network and satellite television aimed at
16- to 24-year-old men.
The film was created at JWT by the art director, Blaise Douglas, and the
copywriter, Simon Brooks. It was directed by Dominic Murphy through
Blink Productions. Media planning and buying is also handled by JWT.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior UX/IA Mobile Designer - 3 Month Contract - London Network Career Consultants £300 - £350 per day, London
- Junior Account Executive Pitch Consultants £15000 - £18000 per annum, Birmingham
- French Speaking Graphic designer | Corporate communications - Global Healthcare Brand Aquent Competitive day rate, Hertfordshire
- Client Services Director - Full-Service Digital Agency Silverdrum to £55,000 + benefits, London