NEWS: Risque Accurist spots cause ban from BACC
By MARGARET HOOD, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 15 December 1995 12:00AM
Simons Palmer Denton Clemmow and Johnson’s first work for Accurist watches has been restricted by the Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre to slots following the nine o’clock watershed, after the original version was turned down.
Simons Palmer Denton Clemmow and Johnson’s first work for Accurist
watches has been restricted by the Broadcast Advertising Clearance
Centre to slots following the nine o’clock watershed, after the original
version was turned down.
The finished version of the pounds 1 million television campaign, to run
over just ten days, is a decidedly steamy affair, featuring a couple in
Accurist, the leading UK brand, is targeting the last-minute Christmas
shopper, who is typically male, aged between 18 and 40, and wants
reassurance that his gift will be appreciated.
The agency’s interpretation of the brief is to dramatise the reaction of
both the giver and the recipient when they have received an Accurist and
when they haven’t.
The two 20-second executions feature a couple engrossed in making love
and show acres of naked flesh being caressed.
The entire scene is played against the background noise of a ticking
watch. However, while the first ends with a close-up of a lissome
lovely’s face, the second concludes with that of an elderly, gap-toothed
In the first, the voiceover of Mariella Frostrup pronounces: ‘He who
gives an Accurist this Christmas deserves everything he gets.’ The
second version is altered to: ‘He who doesn’t give an Accurist this
The Simons Palmer chairman, Paul Simons, admitted that the film may
elicit negative reactions from those outside of the target audience.
‘While we are not deliberately courting controversy, we have a number of
answers up our sleeve if there are any adverse reactions,’ he said.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London