NEWS: Lowes milks Diana mania for Olympus Xmas TV blitz
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 15 December 1995 12:00AM
Lowe Howard-Spink is exploiting the post-Panorama Princess Diana wave of publicity with a pre-Christmas press campaign for Olympus cameras.
Lowe Howard-Spink is exploiting the post-Panorama Princess Diana wave of
publicity with a pre-Christmas press campaign for Olympus cameras.
The ad, which promotes Olympus’s AF-10 Mini gift set, breaks in the
national press this week. It shows a Diana lookalike sitting demurely on
an elegant upholstered chair in the same pose that the real Princess
adopted during the famous Panorama interview.
Sadly, however, this ‘Diana’ has had her head cut off by an amateurish
photographer. The line below the picture reads: ‘Avoid getting your head
chopped off by the in-laws this Christmas.’
It continues in the same vein: ‘What do you give the family that can’t
resist snapping away at each other?...In fact, all the in-laws need to
do is load, point and shoot, which, of course, should come as second
The ad, which was turned around in less than a week, was created by
Lowes’ copywriter, Adrian Lim, and art director, Jeff Curtis. The
photographer was Andy Green.
Lowes snatched the pounds 1.5 million Olympus cameras account from Young
and Rubicam in July 1994. It produced its first work for Olympus less
than a month later, dropping Y&R’s star, David Bailey, in favour of the
paparazzi snapper, Richard Young.
The campaign has continued with award-winning press ads starring
celebrities such as Sandra Bernhard, Ivana Trump and the former Barings
trader, Nick Leeson.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- PR Senior Account Executive, B2B Tech, £25k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 per annum, London
- Head of Consumer & Shopper Insight FMCG Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70K-£85K + Car Allowance, Bonus, Benefits Package, North of London/Herts
- Senior Brand Manager OTC Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£60K + Car + Bonus, London
- Brand Marketing Manager Network Marketing £30000 - £40000 per annum, West Yorkshire