Clarks press ads use South African theme
By ANNE-MARIE CRAWFORD, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 April 1997 12:00AM
McCann-Erickson Manchester has unveiled its first work for the Clarks Springers sandals brand since winning the account after last year’s review.
McCann-Erickson Manchester has unveiled its first work for the
Clarks Springers sandals brand since winning the account after last
The new pounds 500,000 campaign drops the Clarks name for the first
time, but builds on the brand’s successful formula of shooting ads in
exotic locations. It comprises two press executions and a special
16-page brochure, all shot in South Africa.
The first execution shows a European woman with Lesedi Zulu warriors in
native dress. She is sporting a pair of Springers and is jumping in the
air in a traditional tribal dance.
The copy explains how the Lesedi walk across the veldt every day and
then dance together. They invite travellers to join in - and a pair of
light sandals is extremely useful. The strapline reads: ’In shoes as
light as Springers you feel ten feet tall.’
The second ad shows a woman in a safari suit swinging her arms and legs
at the head of a procession of baby elephants. The strapline reads:
’Sandals so light, you can believe they fly.’ The copy adds: ’It’s been
known for elephants with big ears to fly. But, for the more
down-to-earth traveller in South Africa, a light pair of sandals are the
next best thing.’
The Springers brochure, which is in diary format, is bound into the May
issues of She, Good Housekeeping, Options and Woman’s Journal. Shots
will also run as double-page spreads and single-page ads in subsequent
issues and magazines such as the Radio Times and You.
The ads were written and art directed by Wayne Stoud and Kevin
Media planning and buying is through Universal McCann.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Creative Artworker Creative Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Account Manager/Director, full time (would consider 4 days per week) Wonderberry UK Ltd Dependent on experience, Farringdon
- Online Visual Merchandising Manager Luxury Fashion brand Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer - Fashion - £30k 24 Seven Inc Up to £30k, City of London
- Digital Account Manager (ASAP) Zebra People £30000 - £40000 per annum, City of London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard
- Volvo van Damme spot nears 60 million YouTube views