TV MONITOR: A WEEKLY LOOK AT WHO’S BUYING WHAT AND WHEN
By HARRIET GREEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 April 1997 12:00AM
In the interests of populism, TV Monitor takes a peek at who’s buying what in that great British institution, Coronation Street.
In the interests of populism, TV Monitor takes a peek at who’s
buying what in that great British institution, Coronation Street.
Not that this was any old episode of Corrie, you understand. No, this
was the one fans everywhere had been anticipating - the episode where
Derek Wilton died, leaving Mavis bereft. Such drama was guaranteed to
generate media hype and audience ratings.
Goodfellas Pizza, Muller Rice, Safeway, Tango, Chappie, Gaveston
Indigestion Tablets, Ford Escort and McDonald’s were there to see what
they could pick up.
For Goodfellas, this was the start of a new campaign and it was
essential to build awareness levels as quickly as possible. For Safeway
too, this was the kick-off spot for a fresh bout of promotional activity
and it was banking on the strong storyline garnering plenty of unique
It was curious to see Tango in such a mainstream programme. According to
its new agency, TMD Carat, it has to buy a set of programmes and Corrie
is one of them: it’s not ideal, but provides ’loads of ratings’,
according to the buyer. Ford Escort meanwhile, found itself in the break
by dint of ’blind luck’.
Agency: Zenith Media
Buyer: Tracey Stern
Agency: TMD Carat
Buyer: Amanda Pettitt
Client: Ford Escort
Agency: The Network
Buyer: Hal Kayali
Programme: Coronation Street
TV station: ITV - Granada
Date: 7 April, 19.30
Break transmission time: 19.45 Barb: Women 46.4 TVRS (live).
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire
- Senior Account Manager - Digital Pitch Consultants £3000 - £34000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Birmingham